Kellye Fabian Story is an associate attorney, experienced litigator, and counselor in areas of law that include employment, conflict resolution, policy review and development, governance, investigations, and litigation. In conjunction with her attorney services, Kellye helps develop restorative justice and reconciliation plans for churches and nonprofits that have experienced trauma or significant conflict, to aid in rebuilding trust, reconciling relationships, and caring for victims.
Prior to joining Wagenmaker & Oberly, Kellye practiced corporate litigation for many years, first as an associate at Kirkland & Ellis LLP and then as a partner at Freeborn & Peters LLP. At these law firms, Kellye represented clients in state and federal courts as well as arbitration proceedings. Kellye has significant experience in investigating, prosecuting, and defending employment discrimination lawsuits.
Kellye also served previously as a church pastor. She spent nearly nine years on staff at Willow Creek Community Church, holding various roles. In her last three years on staff, Kellye directed policy development in the area of child protection policy measures, developed congregant and volunteer protection practices, managed disciplinary and restoration processes, led the reconciliation ministry, and conducted internal investigations.
Kellye graduated cum laude from DePaul University College of Law, where she was inducted into the Order of the Coif, was recognized as a Dean’s Scholar, and served as Managing Editor of Lead Articles of the DePaul Law Review. She also received the Edwin A. Robson Scholarship and the CALI Excellence Award in Civil Procedure and Securities Regulation. Kellye received her MA from Northern Baptist Theological Seminary and her BA from the University of Illinois, where she graduated cum laude, was recognized on the Dean’s List, and received the Jonathan Baldwin Turner Scholarship.
Kellye lives in the Chicagoland area with her husband, and they have three adult daughters.
- Holy Vulnerability: Spiritual Practices for the Broken, Ashamed, Anxious, and Afraid. NavPress (2021).
- Sacred Questions: A Transformative Journey through the Bible. NavPress (2018).
- "Advice to Young Associates Who Want to Be Trial Lawyers," Litigation Magazine.
- “Proof and Consequences: An Analysis of the Tadic and Akayesu Trials,” DePaul Law Review (2000).
- “Compensating the World’s Landmine Victims: Legal Liability and Anti-Personnel Landmine Producers,” Seton Hall Law Review (2003).
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Christian Legal Society
- Advice to Young Associates Who Want to Be Trial Lawyers, American Board of Trial Lawyers Trial College, Harvard Law School (2012).
- Willow Creek Legal Aid Ministry, Co-Founder and Volunteer (2009-2015)
- Jubilee Centre USA, Board Member (2016-present)
- Safe Families for Children, Safe Family (2019-present)
- Gospel Justice Initiative, Former Board Member
- Housing Opportunities for Women, Former Board Member
- Shama Ministries, Former Board Member