A well-developed corporate structure is essential for long-term impact and growth. Whether forming a new nonprofit or refining a longstanding organization, our firm works to understand the nuances of each organization and to develop a corporate model that advances and protects its mission.
- Initial start-ups and corporate documents
- Through the corporate formation process, our attorneys create a strong legal framework on which our clients can develop their vision and programming. We advise clients on options for organizational structure, then we draft initial corporate documents such as articles of incorporation, bylaws, policies, and initial resolutions. Our attorneys have helped hundreds of charitable entities obtain federal tax exemption by filing IRS Form 1023, Form 1023-EZ, or Form 1024. Where available, our attorneys have represented clients in obtaining sales tax exemption, and we have successfully litigated state tax exemption appeals. These initial steps position our clients for maximum success by setting forth a clear statement of the organization’s vital mission, clear governance mechanisms, accountability, methods of handling disputes, and channels for developing high-quality programs and services.
- Fiscal sponsorship arrangements
- Through fiscal sponsorship arrangements, established 501(c)(3) organizations provide a funding mechanism for fledgling organizations or individuals with a vision for a new charitable, religious, or educational project. Donations are provided to the established charity, allowing donors to give tax-deductible contributions, with donated funds used for the new organization’s programs or a one-time charitable project. Such sponsorships are useful when an organization is in the early development stage, or in cases where charitable funds are focused on a limited-term project rather than an ongoing organization or program. Our attorneys draft or review fiscal sponsorship agreements to ensure legal compliance and to help build healthy relationships between the parties.
- Multi-entity structures
- Our firm develops nonprofit and for-profit subsidiaries to build creative organizational models that protect tax exemption, promote growth, and reduce risk.
- Mergers and restructuring
- We guide clients through due diligence, assessing potential governance and operational concerns as well as the legal impact of assuming the assets and liabilities of the merging entity. We position clients for optimal post-merger success.